The Village Hall is a valuable amenity for the Parish and is a registered charity. The Parish Council are custodian trustees of the Village Hall but the running and management of the hall is undertaken by the Village Hall Management committee. The Village Hall was opened in May 1907 and is still going strong. The foundation stone was laid in 1906 by Mr Marple of Thornbridge Hall. The land, which was formally the village pound, had been donated by the Duke of Devonshire. In May 2007 the village celebrated the 100th anniversary of using the Village Hall.
If you are interested in booking please contact the booking secretary at: email@example.com
Village Hall Hire Costs;
Local organisations - £12 per Session
Private Parties - Residents - £7.50 per hour
Private Parties - Other - £10.00 per hour
Charities - £7.50 per hour
Education Classes - £10.00 per hour
Resident’s businesses - £10.00 per hour
Outside businesses - £15.00 per hour
For more information about the local events being held at the Village Hall you can do so via the Village Hall Calendar below.
FORMED & WHY
The village institute was built during the Edwardian period, primarily to provide a place of recreation for young men of the village. As well as billiards, table tennis was played and teams entered into local leagues. Dances were regularly held, as were whist drives. Tea parties for village children and a youth club was formed.
The building was opened by Mr & Mrs Britton in 1907 and the loans taken out to do the building work were finally paid off in 1912 (and celebrated with a dinner in the White Lion). The building and associated work had cost £263. In addition £40 was spent on a billiard table, £4 on chairs, £7.75 on whilst tables, £4 on a piano and £4 on crockery. Gas was installed and a clock bought making the total about £360.
The association based at the institute for an unlimited number of male and female members, over the age of 15 years, for the purpose of social interactions, mutual helpfulness, mental and moral improvement and rational recreation and amusement.
The Institute was to be open from 4pm until 10pm on weekdays, from 2pm on Saturdays and closed on Sundays. Gambling and games for money and the sale or consumption upon the premises of intoxicating liquors were strictly prohibited.
POST WORLD WAR 2
After the Second World War the building was used for a number of years as the school’s dinning room. This valuable source of income was lost after the school was rebuilt and the institute went into a period of decline.
VILLAGE HALL TODAY
In the 1990’s fundraising and grants have resulted in the building be refurbished to a high standard. The village hall is now a registered charity (1048410).