In 2021 we had a very successful Open Gardens during the weekend 26th/27th June. The village was very busy both days, even though the weather was rather cloudy most of the time, but no rain fell!
A splendid amount of £3,212 was raised for church funds – a welcome figure as finances had been badly affected during the past year by the Covid pandemic. We are very grateful to all those people who kindly opened their gardens and a special "thank you" to those who provided wonderful refreshments during the afternoons.
Our next Open Gardens will be held during the weekend 25th/26th June 2022.
Details of previous events are here:
In the 1870s Great Longstone was a much larger parish, stretching as far as, and including, Holme Hall on the edge of Bakewell.
The following is an extract from the Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
LONGSTONE (GREAT), a village, a township, and a chapelry in Bakewell parish, Derby. The village stands on high ground, under a lofty range of hills, called Longstone Edge, near the Derby and Buxton railway, 3 miles NW by N of Bakewell; consists of one long street; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Bakewell.
The township bears the name of Great Longstone-with-Holme. Real property, £5,292; of which £990 are in quarries. Population in 1851 was 564 and in 1861 was 683, living in 130 houses. The increase of population. arose from the temporary presence of labourers at the forming of the railway.
The manor and much of the land belong to the Duke of Devonshire. Longstone Hall, an ancient mansion at the West end of the village, is the seat of T. Gregory, Esq. Holme Hall is the residence of T. J. Gisborne, Esq.
The chapelry includes also Little Longstone township, and part of Wardlow (popluation of 925 living in 173 houses. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £190.* Patron, the Vicar of Bakewell. The church is old; comprises nave and chancel, with a small tower; and contains monuments of the noble family of Eyre. There are two dissenting chapels, respectively in Great Longstone and Little Longstone; and there is a commodious school, built in 1862, and endowed with £25 a year.
Source = www.visionofbritian.org.uk